Core Prime

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Finding Homeworld

Before I talk about the title, let me get some housekeeping content out of the way.

Being a Wednesday, I had microeconomics in the morning, econometrics in the afternoon. The morning was a bit hectic for me. I missed the bus, so I had to drive over. I didn’t time it too well, so I ended up a bit late for class. Luckily I didn’t miss any material because teaching evaluations were underway. So I actually ended up just fine save for having to go to campus again late at night to “retrieve” my ride.

Before getting to class, I woke up to another chilly morning; there was a bit of snow on the ground. The accumulation level would be something I call “pathetic.” Darn it, if it’s winter, and there should be snow, let there be plenty of snow, instead of this little, tiny, not-snowish, thingy on the ground.

I wonder why people choose to stay at places where there is winter. Or to be more precise, I should ask the question, “why won’t people ‘migrate’ when the weather turns cold but stay?” Is it because they have homes here, or…?

Sometimes I wonder if we missed the whole idea of being part of nature, instead of changing nature (to suit our ways). I’ll reserve all this for more philosophical discussions later.

Back to class things, talking about evaluations, from what I heard, our microeconomics professor got great if not excellent marks. I wish the same could be said for our econometrics professor (we had the evaluations on Monday). It seems that there was a general consensus that a better job could have been done. Oh well, I’m the diplomatic type, and I think that sometimes when I don’t learn that much in class, it might not be just the professor, but there could be some issues within myself.

Lunch in Old Botany was nice, not too many people there this time, just a few choice friends. Most of us, after finishing lunch, went to work on the last (yipee-kay-yeah MF, last one) econometrics homework. There were some confusion on what the questions stated, but in the end, it was done and that was that.

I came home, kicked off my shoes, ran up stairs, depositing stuff on the staircase on the way, and turned on my computers. It’s nice, perhaps a bit too nice, to be at home. I guess when it comes down to preparing for the prelims, I can’t relax like this. Oh well, one thing at a time; first finals, then more class, then finals, then prelims. I’ll tackle them one by one, in a way that will maximize my utility! Take that! See, I learn things from the program. I can even incorporate econ jargon in my daily musings.

During dinner, I got a surprise phone call from Dr. Wheeler. He was calling about my whereabouts and what I’m doing. He was making sure that I graduated (of course I did) and is currently enrolled in the econ PhD program at MSU. He said the reason for his call was that the university was going over all the graduate programs, a review, if you will.

Being in the thick of things back at Western through my participation in IPC, GSAC and IEC, it seems that nothing is safe when money is tight. I hope that the cuts won’t hurt my alma mater too much. From participating (as a student member of IEC) in the international office reorganization, to seeing Jin leave, and hearing GSAC and the graduate students talk about the full time status change, it just seems that things aren’t going that well back in Kalamazoo. Hopefully, things will turn around and through this hardship; the institution will become better because of it.

After dinner, I took the 21:35 bus to get to campus and drive my car back. I also brought what Becky and Tammy left at my place (containers) during Thanksgiving so I could return it to them. I also was reminded through MSN that I still owe our Miss Tammy $3.36 in gift money. That I also brought with me.

I met Tammy at the Owen Lobby where she was filling out a service request to fix her malfunctioning door light. We then proceeded to the café where she shared (more like gave me) two slices of nice cream egg-thing pie with me. She said she was watching her figure, I say, bring it on! I’m not one to be worried about figure, as a matter of fact, I think I could use some more blubber, especially with the cold weather and all.

We then chatted about various things and with a reminder that I have to write up my blog, I left campus around 23:00. So here I am. As for what went down during Thanksgiving weekend, we’ll see.

Note:

I noticed that when I was placing the links for GSAC and IPC, that their websites haven’t been updated in a long time. I’ve already graduated, and they still have my name listed as the rep from econ (for GSAC). The e-board is also the old one for IPC. At least the university is keeping its council info updated.

Crap, it was when I was doing formatting when I noticed the title for this entry, “Finding Homeworld”, that I remembered I was supposed to talk about “Homeworld”. Well, Homeworld is a game, a sci-fi space RTS. It was revolutionary for its time, namely because it was “the one” game that implemented movement and attacks in 3D in an easy and efficient way.

The story is supposed to be awesome, I don’t know yet, because I’ve been only playing the demo (of both Homeworld 1 & 2). But it does seem promising so far. Not to mention, the graphics in Homeworld 2 is very nice. Hopefully I can get it as a Christmas present to play with after I finish my finals. You hear that Santa!? That’s what will be my Christmas present. Of course, in addition to the M1-A2 I’ve asked for, not to mention the F/A-18 E plus all the assortment of armaments and stuff. Say, do the rockets come in dozens, or can I get them in bulk?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

無可救藥的電玩者
有打日記就是乖孩子
乖 每天都要寫日記:)

1:07 AM  
Blogger paul said...

hmm, I thought it was Santa, saying that my gift list was a bit too much...

oh well, yes Miss Tammy, I'll be sure to update my diary daily, I mean, as often as possible...

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home