Core Prime

Monday, November 14, 2005

Start of Something New

Where to start? I was browsing the web, catching up on the daily happenings in our troubled little world, checking out the latest from PvP and PA when I decided to check out Tammy’s blog, well, it’s the first time in a long while that when I checked her blog, it was actually down. I presumed it was “under construction” and of course, my assumption was correct. Later on during the day, around 20:00 when I checked again, it was back up and running, with nice music to boot.

That, plus the every so often emails to my folks prompted some digression which led me to this point, the start of “another” blog, one of a more personal nature, hopefully with consistency and longevity, plus the ability to serve as a reminder of things.

As for naming it Core Prime, it’s for those in the know. If you played RTS games, then it should be rather obvious; if not, then I’d say you are missing out on one of, if not the best, RTS game of all time, only and hopefully to be surpassed by Supreme Commander.

As for the creation of the blog itself, I was hoping for a grand launch on the first day of 2006, one with all flash and bling, but one can’t be too picking when thoughts start aflowing and words start acoming. So I’ll settle for today, marked November 14th, 2005.

As for today, the usual, went to class, did some school work, that sort of thing, but I guess when it comes to routines like this, it doesn’t hurt to be a bit more specific. So, hold on to your seats, cause you’re in for the ride of your life.

Seriously though, it’s nothing that earth-shattering, although I wouldn’t mind something like that, once in a while, where the effects are “enjoyable”. Back to the topic at hand, the more notable things were like sitting through a productive lecture times two of microeconomics with a complement of math due to the full and restful sleep I had last night, and actually “learning” stuff in econometrics class.

Usually econometrics is a tiring affair, the lectures are bland and the assigned book is more cryptic than helpful. Not to mention the fact of the class time, which is right after lunch without a nap squeezed in. I really miss the days back in high school when naps were MANDATORY. And to think that I abhorred the fact that it was required.

The lecture today was nice, nice in the way I could actually follow through without dozing off. Nice also in the way of learning things, even though I’ve been previously acquainted with the material; her (Professor “Emma” as she is affectionately called) way of explaining it, painstaking going over every step and detail actually did payoff today, at least to me.

After class, had a nice chat with Mohammed while waiting for the bus. We chatted a bit about the weather. He mentioned going back to California for the winter break and worrying about his car and stuff. I shared my experience of being in the flat plains of Saskatchewan where the cars had to be plugged in during the freezing days of winter. I guess from his expression he’s glad he isn’t there. I can’t blame him. Those were long days, long cold days, days where you left home in the dark for class, and came home in the dark after class. But that’s another story from another lifetime.

After I came home, gave my bro a call to take care of stuff which was due last Friday. It had to do with his scholarship and regardless of the work involved, it was a worthy endeavor.

On my way to pick him up on campus, we got a “serving” of Total Takeout good enough for one person for a meal. After completing the aforementioned tasks in the security of our fortress, ahem, home, we left with cans and bottles in the trunk of the car to exchange or more like, get our freaking deposit back.

On the way back to campus, he mentioned the time and decided to deviate from the schedule. So I dropped him off at his dorm, but not before getting another serving of Total Takeout. Off to Meijer I went, ready to stock up on whatever was needed, and not.

The cans were returned okay, but the bottles of Moosehead purchased over the weekend just didn’t want to be recycled. Given my thrifty nature, I took the bottles home and contemplated their future.

I bought quite a few bags of chips plus two heads of lettuce, which warranted a question from a cute clerk about having a party for the weekend (not because of the lettuce, of course. Thank you, Capt. Obvious!). I stated that it was just to stock up for whatever occasion which may present itself. She said she was having a party for the weekend, but didn’t have the chips. Hmm, perhaps I should have pitched in and offered her the chips in return for an invitation to her party. Oh well, shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Out in the parking lot I noticed a Chinese family with mom/dad and kids. I knew they were Chinese because they spoke the language. They put their groceries in the car, but didn’t return the cart. The cart return thing/area wasn’t very close to where they parked, but it wasn’t that far either. I could say they, as in the parents, they had more “serious” things to take care of, like their kids and the like, but in all honesty, they were lazy. Especially the dad; he was the guy with cart duty.

Not to mention the “parking-sharks” that were out in full force today. It must be the cold weather, plus the time of being the afternoon rush that people weren’t that patient, or more like, they can only be patient for something they want. I counted at least three cars in the lane waiting for previous occupants of valuable parking estate to throw in the groceries and leave so they may claim the spot as their own. Not to mention the one that blocked me from backing out (She wanted to take the Chinese family’s spot).

I just think that’s bad etiquette because it gives undue pressure on people to hurry up and “get lost”. Not that I won’t do anything like that in the future, but hopefully I’ll remember that it’s not a polite thing and refrain from doing so. And do remind me if I become that which I abhor.

Came back home, ate the two allotments of food while Jessica was busy chirping away. She wanted my attention because she wanted dinner. I checked her bowl, which was still full with pellets. I’ve recently purchased a bulk pack of Guinea Pig food at Walmart given the knowledge that I will certainly be taking care of her for more than an extended period of time. But I guess she doesn’t like the new taste. Well, she has to eat it; I’m not throwing that away and getting a new bag (previous brand one, if I can remember what brand it is). She’ll just have to eat that, and make do with the hay and lavish treats that I spoil her with.

During the course of my dinner, I noticed that she stopped chirping. I paused to listen and sure enough, she was eating the pellets. I guess she was hungry enough to eat what she needed to eat. Good girl!

That’s about it for the day, I’ll do some house work and prepare for the SPEAK test I have tomorrow. Hopefully that will go okay. It just seems kind of odd, given my background, that I have to take the test. I figured that with my formal academic training in English-speaking institutions for the past six years (four years of undergrad in Canada, plus two years of masters in Michigan, USA herself; not to mention whatever I had previous), I should have the necessary and sufficient English skills, speaking and such, to become a fully qualified TA. But rules are rules, so I’ll take the test and pass it, just to spite them, Haha!

At the end of this, which seems to be the start of something new, I would like to extend a thank you to a certain Tammy, who gave the inspiration and motivation (indirectly from her blog, but directly from my parents, which also indirectly came from…). Cheers, and see you tomorrow, if not, then the day after tomorrow, or... suffice to say, “Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow!” (I really like that shirt, bro!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW~~一個早睡覺的人竟然會寫blog
這是個嚴酷的考驗 考驗你的時間安排
好棒好棒 加油!!!
而且我可以練英文
今天的單字:etiquette 禮節

Thank you!

10:10 PM  
Blogger paul said...

I'm learning from the master here... thx for the encouragement...

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home